I am in the cellar of my traditional 10 team league, with 35 total points. I know it is early, but I can’t imagine making a run at first. However, I certainly do not want to be dead last! What can/should I do?! I wish to remain anonymous so the guys in my league don’t ridicule me.
Hey there Anonymous,
I know from personal experience that the cellar is the worst place to be. In my first “official” season in the main league I currently play in, I was dead last for about the whole season and it was an awful feeling. What I did wrong in that situation was that I started streaming hitters, and I didn’t really have a specific plan. I just hoped to catch up in every category.
There are 3 things you need to be mindful of:
- Know your limits. In some leagues there are limitations (typically just to pitchers) Like 200 or so starts or an innings max or min.
- Who is available in free agency? If all the mashers in the league are taken, as hard as it may be to do, you must punt HRs rest of way so you can focus on what’s available.
- You need a trade partner. If a guy has better players on his bench than you do in some of your active spots, you may want to trade your best trade chips for 2 or 3 guys that will really help you.
Now here are 3 things for you to focus on:
- First, you need to check out the categories that are closest overall. If steals are only separated be one steal a spot, then that would be a GREAT category to catch up in. Same with Ks for pitching. It is pretty tough to bank on guys for wins, BUT if you start trading and picking up high K guys you should be able to make your move through that category.
- Second, you need to know which categories you are closest and furthest away in. If you are dead last in categories like ERA, WHIP, and AVG they may be lost causes, depending how far behind you are in. Rather, focus on counting stats because they are easiest to catch up in.
- A 10 team 5×5 league has 550 points available, and the winner can vary anywhere from 70-85, depending on the league. You should first focus on getting to 50 points. It may not get you out of the cellar but it is a great goal to set right now. Once you achieve that goal you should reassess where you can get to next. Maybe it’s 60 points or just focusing on categories that might close the gap between you and the next guy!
Hope this helps and good luck!